Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Complacency yields failure; discontentment yields success

So today, I did a burpee mile with Chris. INTENSE to say the least!!!!! What is a burpee mile? I'm so glad you asked:) You do a burpee followed by a broad jump for one mile...aka 4 laps around a track! I thought I was going to die...but we both finished it and are both sore and EXHAUSTED!

But here's the thing. Not EVEN a year ago, I couldn't do a sit up, push up, and had no idea what a burpee was. Couldn't do a 1/2 burpee, let alone 1 full one with good form. Going from that, to doing as many as I can in 5 min (46 back in March?) to as many as I can in 3 min (42 in Sept I think) to as many as I can in 1 min as part of my DAILY routine (between 22-24), and now doing ONE MILE of burpees...I'd say success!

From a mental standpoint...after the first lap, that of which we were pretty much around the same pace, I thought of every excuse to stop after one lap. I thought, "Ehhhh one lap is pretty good...I'll just stop here...I don't want to keep going." But every time I looked forward, I saw Chris busting ass and pass the starting point and thought, "Well shoot, I'm not gonna let him say he's the only one that did it!" So I kept going...and going...and going. And as he lapped me, and then walked next to me for the last 1/4 mile...he reminded me it's 80% mental, 20% physical.

When it comes to results, it's easy to make EVERY EXCUSE in the book as to why it's not going to work. I've done it and I've been there. MENTALLY, while our bodies sit idle, we talk ourselves out of putting in the time and dedication to achieve our "dream" ... our goal! But what does that get you? NOTHING! IT GETS YOU THE SAME THING IT'S ALWAYS GOTTEN YOU...NOWHERE! The time we waste talking ourselves out of training hard is time that we could use training! Time AND energy!!! Wasted time = wasted results! 
"I have no money; I have no time; I have kids to take care of; I'm tired after work; I have no energy..." and the list goes on. But what have you spent money on within the past week? We all have 24 hours in a day...why is it that the people WHO YOU ASPIRE TO BE LIKE are the people that FIND TIME to be fit and work on their fit-ness. Sure, you have kids...and that takes up a lot of time, but what about the baby weight that you're desperate to lose? HOW DESPERATE? What price can you put on getting back the body you had pre-baby? You get more energy when you workout...it makes you more mentally focused during the work day. 

Studies have shown that people who get the most promotions are the people who work out...why? Because they train the mental more so than the physical...you have problems multitasking? Train with more complex exercises.  Have difficulty focusing on one task? Train more simplistically. This is why having a trainer is key...they HELP you work on your weak points...MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY!  Those who are more successful in their jobs challenge the weak parts of the brain which allows them to be more successful during their day. The stronger you are mentally, the more you are able to do. Like today for me...it took mostly MENTAL strength to complete that mile. Like Chris said: imagine your worst workout ever...and the easiest workout at the same time. Yup...that pretty much sums it up. My world felt like it was moving in slow motion. But because my BODY was strong, it CHALLENGED MY MIND to keep up. When your MIND IS STRONG and your BODY IS WEAK, your mind challenges your body to keep up.

Fitness allows you to release stress. It's not something that you do to be "hot" or "fit" or simply to get a 6 pack (although that still remains as one of my goals...among many others:)!). Fitness allows you to become more mentally sound. Sound body, sound mind. Sound meaning peace. When you are CONTENT with yourself and PROUD OF YOURSELF for the things YOU accomplished, NO ONE can break that. No amount of chaos can take that away from you. It allows you to be a better mom, a better friend, a better co-worker, a better wife/husband...A BETTER PERSON! WHO DO YOU WANT TO BECOME? Are you happy with who you are? I'm not talking physically...I'm talking holistically. Are you at peace? Are you content? Have you found the sound part of your soul that keeps you grounded? For THAT is the greatest gift you can offer yourself. SO LET'S FIND IT! FIND WHAT YOU WANT AND DON'T STOP TIL YOU GET IT!!!

The hardest part is getting started..."without self-discipline, success is impossible" (Lou Holtz). 

I'll leave you with this quote that I found recently on Pinterest! (I love Pinterest for motivational fitness quotes...keeps me going...and for the food..haha) It's from a pro surfer...Laura Enever: "Insecure? It's not in my vocabulary. I WORK TOO HARD FOR THAT! Whether I'm riding a wave, or running a 5k, I do it for myself...not because I'm expected to. I am a woman. I am powerful. Pride? It's what I love by."

What do you pride yourself on? LET IT BE DEDICATION!

#teamshehulk #burpeemile #dedication #devotion #besound

No comments:

Post a Comment