Friday, November 9, 2012

How To Lose Weight Through the Holidays!

Ok let's be honest...the holidays are the HARDEST time of the year to maintain weight, and ideally, shed lbs! People put on the most weight during the holidays...that's a proven fact! Let me offer a new way of thought to help get through the holidays WITHOUT gaining the weight, and STILL ENJOY THE FOOD!!

I was reading this article (I'll post the link to at the end of the post) that inspired me to figure out a plan of attack. I'm also reading this book, Made to Crave by Lysa Terkeurst, about how to deal with cravings and making healthy food choices. A combination of these two things made me inspired to do the following this holiday season!

Let's just focus on Thanksgiving. Ok, so for me, here's what I'm going to do...usually, for my meals throughout the day, I'll have 4 oz of lean meat (or a bunch of egg whites), 4 or 5 oz of veggies, and 1-2 oz of sweet potato (or some brown rice, quinoa, etc.). This was given to me by my nutritionist.  So on Thanksgiving day, my mom is going to make some desserts (healthy using natural ingredients...great recipes...I can hook you up with them). I'm going to measure out my food for my main dinner...4 oz of turkey, 5 oz of veggies (maybe a little more...it's gonna be a cheat, so I'm just increasing my portions MAYBE), and some sweet potatoes. We are also making guacamole (which is ok, because avocados are a healthy fat!)! After I portion out my food and put just that on my plate, I'm going to have a LITTLE dessert, and walk away from the table! Then, a few hours later when I feel hungry, I'll do the SAME THING!

I have a tendency to binge eat on holidays, and if I have one slice of pie, I usually eat the whole thing! Haha. It's just what I've always done. This year, I refuse to do that, so measuring out my food or portioning it out will keep me from eating everything else.  My biggest problem is picking after dinner when the food is still out! Anyone with me on that? Yes? Good! Here's the plan!

When I'm sitting at the table talking with family, and I find that I am tempted to pick at the food sitting on the table, (which usually causes me so much anxiety and frustration to stay away from it that I just give in), I'm going to GET UP, WALK AWAY, go into another room, pray, journal, play with my dogs...do WHATEVER I have to do and wait for the craving to pass. Once I feel under control, I'll go back with my family and continue my day! 

I'm not telling you this is going to be easy for me! This is going to be really hard! I'm telling you (and myself) that it will pay off! I'm actually looking forward to putting my plan into action! It'll keep my mind at ease, and more importantly, allow me to experience the JOY of food WITHIN the FREEDOM I was given. 

We are not subject to our temptations, cravings, and binges. WE have the POWER to MAKE OUR OWN CHOICES!!! Our cravings and temptations DO NOT DICTATE how we act. Think. How is this going to benefit me tomorrow? Or in a few hours when I'm ready to throw up because I overate? How is this getting me closer to my goals? How is this making me FREE? It's not? Oh...then let me get up, walk away, and pray for strength! WE ARE MADE FOR MORE THAN THIS! We are made for FREEDOM!

When you feel tempted, get up, walk away, and think. Enjoy the holidays and desserts, and may we be smart in our decisions! Make a plan of attack for yourself. If this works for you, LET'S DO IT!!! You're not alone! Get people around you to hold you accountable! I'm putting this out there and welcoming the accountability myself!!! Text a friend, tell a family member, have a signal with someone at the table who can help you when you feel weak! Let us be empowered this holiday season with our food choices rather than defeated! When YOU make the choice, YOU ARE EMPOWERED!!! You can do it!

Read this article for more tips! So helpful and EMPOWERING!!!
http://www.acefitness.org/blog/2958/how-to-mentally-prepare-your-clients-for-the/

Much love, and comment below if you are in need of some accountability! Email me, and let's do this TOGETHER!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment